Friday, April 9, 2010

The best bread in my baking history


Initially, thinking of having slices of bread of ordinary square in shape, just to fit in the normal cheddar cheese my sister brought.

Last week, I tried to bake with the loafpan, after so many months left it aside, and baking without it. In my mind, to make the dough grow well entirely, I did it in some special way, which saw from other website, divide the dough into few small pieces, and turn it become rolls, and put together in the loafpan.




The set is nice after an hour, but I'd forgotten the actual baking duration for this suppose to be 40mins. Thus, the bread was wet in the middle part.



Yesterday, just tried to use back the loafpan again. I prepared the biga in the morning before leaving home to office. When i back home around 6pm, roughly after 12 hours, the yeast in biga looks so active. I mix in all the ingredients and start to work with the dough, proving, shaping the dough in rolls, and prove for another one hour.

Biga: 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast + 1 cup flour (i used wholemeal) + 1 cup water

Dough: Biga + 1 cup wholemeal flour + 2 cups white flour (=50% wholemeal bread) + 1 cup water + 1/2 teaspoon salt + 3 tablespoons of olive oil + 3 tablespoons of sugar + 1/4 cup of milk powder

I think the most essential point for this round is the baking temperature and time. I set the oven to 180degree celcius, and baked for 40mins totally, which the first 30mins loafpan with cover, and remaining 10mins with loafpan cover opened, to have some nice colour on the top.



I guess the flour is too much until no more space for the dough to grow during the baking time.
Maybe for next bake i'll try to reduce it to 3 cups of flour.
Anyway, the round shape of each roll still visible on the loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment